Help During Election

How Can I Help During an Election?

The Wisconsin Elections Commission encourages every eligible citizen to vote and to become involved in the election process. One of the most rewarding ways to do this is to become an Election Inspector, also known as Poll Worker or a Chief Election Inspector.

Citizen involvement is essential to conduct open, accurate and fair elections in Wisconsin. We hope that you will consider participation in one of these positions.

There are several different jobs at polling places in Wisconsin, all of which are appointed by Town Chairman.

Election Inspector (i.e. Poll Worker) Responsibilities Include:

  • Check voters in at the polling place
  • Register them to vote
  • Issue ballots.
  • Election inspectors receive training from the municipal clerk or online from the Wisconsin Elections Commission
  • You must be residents of the County where they will be working

Chief Election Inspector Responsibilities

  • Serves as the lead election official at a polling place
  • A Chief Election Inspector, must complete online or in-person baseline training
    • About 2-3 hours
  • Must be residents of the town, village or city where they serve as a chief inspector (in a pinch a Chief Inspector can be from the county).

Greeters or Election Registration Officials (ERO) Responsibilities

  • Each polling place can have one person appointed as an official Greeter
    • Must be a resident of the county where they serve.
  • Greeters also help at a polling place by making sure voters are in the correct line and assist with sanitization efforts
  • EROs, must be residents of the county in which they serve
  • Help voters registering to vote on Election Day.
  • Greeters and EROs must take some training before Election Day


  • Assist with ballot counting after the polls close on election day
  • State law does not make any specific residency requirements of these individuals

Contact our Town of Delavan Clerk, to sign up to serve during the next election. 

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 262-728-3471

How do I become a poll worker?

  • Two ways to become an Elections Inspector
    • Through a nomination from the Democratic Party or Republican Party
    • Applying directly to your Town Clerk
    • You can select your county from these websites and view the contact information for your local party chairperson
    • Please note that party nominations must be submitted to the Town Board Chairperson no later than November 30 of each odd-numbered year

How are poll workers selected?

  • By State Statutes (7.30 ( 4)) the Board Chairperson of the municipality is required to nominate poll workers to the governing body no later than the last regular meeting in December of odd-numbered years. The governing body of the municipality appoints the poll workers for a two-year term before December 31.