Run For Office


Read below if you would like to know how to run for a municipal office in the Town of Delavan.

The Town Clerk will provide you with the proper paper work to run for local office or you can follow the links provided below for the necessary forms. Please complete these forms and file them with the Town Clerk.

Note:  A municipality may enact an ordinance establishing a code of ethics for public officials that may require a candidate for municipal office, in addition to the office of municipal judge, to file a Statement of Economic Interests (SEI)Please contact the municipal clerk to find out if this requirement applies.

  • Local candidates should visit the Local Campaign Finance page on the Wisconsin Ethics Commission website for information about campaign finance registration and reporting.
  • General information for local government candidacy:
  • State offices up for election are Governor and Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, State Treasurer, Secretary of State, State Senator (odd-numbered districts), and State Representative. Federal offices up for election are U.S. Senate and Representative to Congress


The State of Wisconsin has provided a Ballot Access Video that details information about how to get on the ballot.

Registered Write-In Candidates

To register as a write-in candidate:

  • Fill out the Campaign Registration Statement (CF-1) with the filing officer prior to collecting or spending any money on the campaign
  • Deadline to register as a write-in candidate is 12:00 p.m. (noon) the Friday before the election.

  • If you are an elected official who is not running again, you are required to file a Notification of Non-Candidacy form with the filing officer to give potential candidates notice of an open seat
  • Notification must be received by the proper filing officer no later than 5:00 p.m. on the 2nd Friday preceding the deadline for filing ballot access documents to avoid an extension of time for filing such papers. A general list of filing officers for offices is listed below
  • The Town Clerk will have all paperwork needed by the first week of December

All forms should be turned in to the Town Clerk at [email protected]

A list of state candidates who have registered their campaigns with the Wisconsin Ethics Commission or filed a Declaration of Candidacy form with the Wisconsin Elections Commission is attached below. Federal candidates running for U.S. Senate and Representative to Congress often do not file a Declaration of Candidacy form with the Elections Commission until the spring of 2022. Therefore, the best source of early information about who is running for those federal offices may be the campaign finance reports filed with the Federal Elections Commission's website: