Frequently Asked Questions

Animals - Licensing & Stray's

Where do I apply for a dog license?

The application can be found on line under forms & permits.

You can apply for the license at:

Town Hall
location-128  5621 Town Hall Road
          Delavan, WI  53115
Between 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday

Dog Licence Application

What is the fee for a dog license?

The fee is:

$20.00 for altered dogs
$40.00 for unaltered dogs

You will also need proof of vaccination at time of registration.

Dog Licence Ap

If I find a stray animal who do I call?

You may call the Police Department telephone_blue 262-728-8787 or
the Walworth County Humane Society telephone_blue 262-723-1000

Humane Society Location:
location-128  3551 State Road 67
          Delavan WI 53115

Where are stray animals taken?

They are taken to the Walworth County Humane Society.

location-128  3551 State Road 67
          Delavan WI 53115

Can I have Chickens on my property?

According the Ordinance 10.03 1) (n) no you may not.  The section reads as follows:


The keeping or harboring of any animal which causes the continuous annoyance and discomfort of surrounding neighbors so that their rest is broken, sleep is interrupted, or the reasonable use and enjoyment of their property disturbed, is a nuisance. Such animal may be taken into custody as provided in Subsection (k).

The keeping or harboring of chickens, turkeys, ducks or geese on any parcel  or lot in any Residential District as defined in the Zoning Ordinances, Walworth County, Wisconsin, as the same may be amended from time to time.


Brush Pickup/Dropoff Site

When is brush pick-up?

Brush pickup starts the first Monday in May and ends in October.  If the first Monday falls on a holiday it will start on Tuesday.

The Public Works Department goes up/down every street until they are finished.

What are the restrictions for brush pick-up?
  • Crews are limited to 15 minutes per location.
  • Pick up is for trimming of brush and trees, no fully cut trees (no bagged materials) 
  • Tree limbs cannot exceed six (6) inches in diameter 
  • No foreign material in pile (No rocks, steel, wire, metal, lumber, garbage, etc.)
  • No leaves or grass clippings will be picked up.
Can anyone drop of at the drop off site?

No, only Town of Delavan Residents (Proof of Residency Required)

You must sign in at Town Hall before dumping or if before 8:30am sign in at the Public Works Department

What are the drop off site hours?

Monday - Friday 7:00am - 3:30pm
May thru October Only we are open on
Saturday  from 7:00am - 11:00am

Closed - Sunday & Holidays

What items are accepted at the drop off site?

Brush Drop Off

The Town of Delavan drop off site will accept garden debris grass clippings, leaves and brush. (Limbs cannot exceed four (4) inches in diameter)

Will not accept stumps, concrete, logs or root balls etc.

Waste Oil Drop Off

The Town of Delavan is now accepting waste oil to be burned for energy recovery in our Public Works’ garage.  Town residency is not required for this type of disposal; any waste oil is accepted as long as it’s free of antifreeze, gasoline, etc.  Waste oil can be delivered to the Town Highway Garage location during regular business hours. Please register prior to drop off.

White Goods


 Air Conditioners, Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers, Refrigerators, Freezers, Stoves/Ovens, Hot Water Heaters


TV’s, Tires, Microwaves, Anti-Freeze. Oil Based Paint (Walco Roundup only), Latex Paint (let dry and leave for garbage man), Logs, Stumps, Car Batteries


What is acceptable burning?

Acceptable burning includes outdoor cooking that is not dangerous to people or property and burning in furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and other devices for that use.

When can I burn yard waste?

The burning of dry combustible material and non-offensive yard waste is accepted from September 16th through June 14th each year as long as there is supervision by a person 18 years or older, not burning any closer than 25 feet from building or structures and 50 feet from any lake or stream and away from any highway.  There must also be water or another device to put out the fire.

Do I need a permit to burn?

No, but you are ultimately responsible for any nuisance or illegal burning and could be subject to a citation.

If it is a controlled burn, yes.  Contact the Fire Chief @ telephone_blue 262-728-3780.

Community Park

How do I rent the Communty Park facilities?

Contact:  Steve Shoff - Park Harbor Master 
telephone_blueGatehouse: 262-740-2335
telephone_blueOffice: 262-245-5820
An application can be obtained on our website ( external link icon ) under Forms & Permits or How Do I.

What are the Park hours?

Park - 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Beach - 9:00 am - 8:00 pm

Boat Launch - 24/7

What are the boat launch fees?

20 Ft. and Under Daily $10.25 Season Pass $102.50

Over 20 Ft. - 26 Ft. Daily $12.50 Season Pass $125.00

Over 26 Ft. Daily $14.75 Season Pass $147.50

Is there a parking fee at the Park?

No, but there is an admission fee.

$3.00 for adults
$2.00 for Children

If I am a resident of the Town of Dealvan do I have to pay the admission fee?

No, all you need is proof of residency (driver's license, utility bill, tax bill, etc.) and you can receive a yearly pass for your automobile.

Garage/Rummage Sales

Do I need a permit to have a garage/rummage sale?

Yes, the fee is $5 per day with a maximum of 6 days or portion of days per year.

images (1) The fine for non-compliance can be between $10 and $5,000.

Where do I obtain a garage/rummage sale permit?

Permits can be obtained from the Town Clerk at Town Hall, the form can be found on our website ( external link icon ) under Forms and Permits or How Do I?

Police Department/Municipal Court

Can I pay a citation on line?

No, they must be paid at the police department before your court date or at court on your court date.

Does the Police Department have DMV services?

No, the nearest DMV Service facility is in Elkhorn on Hwy 67 and Interstate 43

What is the Police Department non-emergency phone number?

telephone_blue 262-728-8787
This number is only good during day time hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM Monday thru Friday

Can I get a copy of a police report?

Yes, upon approval from the Chief of Police.
There is a $0.25 charge per page.

Can I have a officer check my home/business while on vacation?

YES. We are happy to keep an extra eye on your property while you are away. Please contact the police secretary @  telephone_blue 262- 28-8787.
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Where do I pay a citation before my court date?

Citations may be paid at the Police Department Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.

images (1)  The Municipal Clerk or Treasurer at the Town Hall DO NOT have the capability to process your citation.

What day is Court?

The Town of Delavan Municipal Court is held on Thursdays @ 5:30pm
location-128  5621 Town Hall Road
          Delavan, WI  53115
telephone_blue 262-728-5563

Property Assessment

If I want my property reassessed who do I call?

Accurate Appraisals, LLC 
location-128  1428 Midway Road 
           PO Box 415 
           Menasha, WI 54952-0415
telephone_blue 800-770-3927
fax-128  920-749-8099

How do I protest my property assessment?

Contact the assessors office for an Open Book appointment:
location-128 PO Box 415
         Menasha, WI  54592
telephone_blue 800-770-3927  
fax-128 290-749-8809

After your Open Book appointment, if you are still not satisfied you need to fill out an objection form obtained from the clerk or on our website to attend the Board of Review.

When is Open Book and/or Board of Review

Open Book and Board of Review are generally in the Spring of each year; with the exception when there is a revaluation it will be closer to fall when it is done.
Check the website calendar or notices for current dates.

Property Improvements

When do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required prior to the start of construction. In addition to permits being required for the construction of a residential structure and all commercial buildings, permits are required for garages, sheds, accessory buildings, additions, alterations, permanent fences, decks, reroofing, demolition or razing of any building, electrical upgrades, and many other projects. If you have any questions, regarding whether your project requires a permit, call the Town at telephone_blue 262-728-3471 and ask for the Building Inspection Department. Failure to obtain a permit prior to start of work results in double the building inspection fees.

How can I apply for a building permit?

Building permits can be obtained at the Town Hall or with the Building Inspector.

Building Inspector hours are:

Tuesday and Thursday
1:00pm - 3:00pm

How do I find out what my property is zoned?

Make an appointment with a code enforcement officer at the Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management Department or visit the County website globe-01-128
* Come into the office and look on the Ariel maps *There is a $30 fee if you need the zoning in writing.

When do I need a zoning permit?

A zoning permit is required for any construction, addition or alteration of any structure, including but not limited to sheds, carports, decks, patios, porches, dormers, towers, new or replacement retaining walls, entrance pillars and gates, shore-yard stairs and landings and shore-land vegetation removal or grading.

What if I am only replacing what is there?

A zoning permit is required even if the structure exists and the person is replacing it.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

No, as long as the fence does not exceed 4 feet in the street or shore yards and 6 feet in the side and rear yards. It is required to be at least 2 feet from the right of way and is not permitted to be greater than 2 feet in height in the vision triangle of an intersection. A fence in the shore-yard is not permitted to be a barrier to wildlife.

Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?

Sometimes. Contact the zoning office for a determination. telephone_blue 262-741-4972

Do I need a permit to build a pond?

Yes, a County Zoning Permit and a County approved Land Disturbance and Erosion Control Plan and Permit are required.

Can I have horses on my property?

Walworth County Zoning permits horses on land zoned A-1 (Prime Agricultural Land), A-2 (Agricultural Land), A-3 (Agricultural Land Holding), A-5 ( Agricultural-Rural Residential) and C-2 (Upland Resource conservation). Any building that has animals in them is required to be 100 feet from all property lines. Contact the Land Use
and Resource Management Office telephone_blue 262-741-4972.

How do I apply for a zoning permit?

Submit a completed zoning permit application form, plat of survey prepared by a registered land surveyor showing all existing and proposed structures and the fee. Additional material may be required for certain projects like building plans, grading plans. existing and proposed contours, etc. Construction started without permit approval will be charged a double fee.

Property Taxes

When does my tax bill come out?

Tax bills may arrive at your residence any time between December 1st and December 20th of each year.

Where do I pay my taxes?

December 15 thru January 31st the Town of Delavan collects them Monday thru Friday from 9:00AM - 4:00PM.
February 1st thru the end of the year (including 2nd installment) they are paid at:

Walworth County Treasurers Office
location-128  100 W Walworth St
           PO Box 1001,
           Elkhorn WI  53121
telephone_blue  262-741-4251

What are the times and dates to pay taxes?

The Town Hall is open Monday thru Friday from 9:00AM - 4:00PM. Check the calendar to see if special times and dates are available to pay your taxes.

Refuse & Recycling

Who do I call for refuse/garbage pick-up?

Advanced Disposal
Address:  1215 Klement St
                     Fort Atkinson, WI  53538
telephone_blue 800-248-2373
globe-01-128 www.

Nieuwenhuis Brothers
Address:  857 Comus Drive
                     Delavan WI  53115
telephone_blue 262-728-8155
globe-01-128 www.

Can I throw electronics such as TV, DVD Players, ect. in with may garbage?

No, they need to be recycled at a electronic recycler.

The nearest one is:

DP Electronic Recycling
Address:  540 E Centralia St
                     Elkhorn WI  53121
telephone_blue 262-723-2550

Town Hall

When is the Town Hall open for business?

Monday thru Friday 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Except Holidays check the website calendar for Holiday hours

Who do I contact to reserve the Town Hall?

Contact the Town Clerk
Monday - Friday between 8:30am - 4:30pm
There is a form that needs to be filled out that can be found on our website  globe-128 under forms and permits.
telephone_blue 262-728-3471

Is there a fee to rent the Town Hall?

No, it is on a first come first serve basis.

When is the Town Board Meeting Scheduled?

Town Board meetings are always the third Tuesday of the month.

Committee of the Whole meets in general the second Monday of the month, please be sure to check the calendar for meeting time and date.

Annual Meeting is the third Tuesday in April.

Budget Meeting is 2nd Tuesday in November.