ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS: ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS   TOWN OF DELAVAN, WISCONSIN   Time and Place of Opening Bids. Sealed proposals for the February 21-23, 2023 Ice Storm Tree & Brush removal project for the Town of Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin, will be received at the Town Hall, 5621 Town Hall Road, Delavan, Wisconsin 53115, Attention: John Olson, Administrator until 1:00 PM, March 23, 2023.  The bids will be publicly opened and read at that time. Description of Work. Tree and Brush removal from all public property and public road right-of-ways throughout the Town of Delavan.  The project must be substantially completed by May 1, 2023. Information for Bidders: Please contact Tom Thiele, Public Works, at 262-728-6411 with specific questions and comments for clarification and expectations of this project. Rejection of Bids. The Board of Supervisors reserves the right to reject any or all Bids and to waive technicalities.  Unless the Bids are rejected for good cause, award of contract shall be made to the lowest responsible and responsive Bidder.   Dated at Delavan, Wisconsin this 16th day of March, 2023.   Michele Starin, Clerk   END OF ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS

Burning Q & A

It’s that Time of Year Again!  

The trees are turning colors, you are trimming the branches, raking the leaves and cutting down brush and you probably want to burn that pile of leaves and brush so it’s not in your yard when the snow flies, right?  Well, you can!!!!

The burning of dry combustible material and non-offensive yard waste (like leaves, sticks and brush) is permissable, yearly, from September 16th through June 14th, so long as the burn is supervised by a person 18-years or older, the burn is not closer than 25-feet from any buildings or structures and 50-feet from any lake or stream and away from any highway. There must also be water or another device to put out the fire.

No Burn Permit Needed, HOWEVER…

If you are planning a large burn, residents are asked to contact the Fire Department (Assistant Chief Fred Krablean – 414-550-5224) and the Police Department (262-728-3471 X101) before burning. You will be asked to provide the date and time of the burn so the town doesn’t inadvertantly send out emergency vehicles.

Please CLICK HERE to read the entire Burn Ordinance as there are many other details you need to know in regard to what is considered a permissable burn, what is a campfire or bonfire, what is refuse, , the regulations for an open burn, etc. 

What CANNOT Be Burned?

Unless specific written approval has been obtained from the Department of Natural Resources, the following material may not be burned in an open fire, incinerator, burn barrel, furnace stove, or any other indoor or outdoor incineration or heating device: i) Rubbish or garbage including but not limited to food wastes, food wraps, food packaging, animal carcasses, paint or painted materials, furniture, composite shingles, construction or demolition debris or other household or business waste. ii) Waste oil or other oily waste except used oil burned in a heating device for energy recovery, subject to the restrictions in Ch. NR 679, Wisconsin Administrative Code. iii. Asphalt and products containing asphalt. iv. Treated or painted wood including, but not limited to plywood, composite wood products or wood products that are painted, varnished or treated with preservatives. v. Any plastic material including, but not limited to nylon, PVC, ABS, polystyrene or urethane foam, and synthetic fabrics, films, and containers. vi. Rubber, including tires and synthetic, rubber- like products. vii. Newspaper, corrugated cardboard, container board, office paper and other materials that must be recycled in accordance with the Town of Delavan recycling ordinance, except as provided or otherwise allowed.

Happy Fall Y’all!